Kitchen countertops are one of the most important parts of any kitchen for aesthetic and functional reasons. You want countertops that offer a lustrous look but also need a workspace for preparing meals. Whether you’re simply looking to upgrade your existing countertops or want to overhaul your entire kitchen, it’s vital to know a few key tips when it comes to deciding on the perfect countertops for your kitchen.
Benefits of Different Countertop Materials
Ideally, you want beautiful and durable kitchen countertops. Aesthetically, it’s possible to marry virtually any type of countertops to your overall kitchen aesthetic with the right planning and the right choice of color and finish. However, different countertop materials offer different qualities:
- Natural stone countertops made of granite or marble are heavy and extremely durable. They are very difficult to scratch or scuff and can withstand a tremendous amount of punishment over many years. They also offer beautiful rustic aesthetics that can pair amazingly well with traditional natural wood cabinetry and modern cabinet designs alike. There is a bit of a random element to choosing marble or granite as you may be able to browse samples, but there is really no way to predict the type of swirling patterns your finished countertops will have.
- Quartz countertops come in a variety of styles, including Aureastone, Caesarstone, and Polarstone. Any type of quartz countertop is stain and scratch resistant, highly durable, and very easy to clean. Quartz is also more uniform in color compared to granite for homeowners who prefer more symmetrical aesthetics in their kitchens.
- Wood countertops can be beautiful additions to rustic kitchens, available in a wide variety of design options and edge profiles. Butcher block countertops are perfectly sealed and ideal for food preparation, and all Grothouse wood countertops come with a lifetime warranty.
- Glass countertops can be the ideal choice for a homeowner looking for a polished, modern look. Most glass countertops are almost two inches thick, extremely easy to clean, stain resistant, and more durable than you’d probably expect when thinking of glass. Glass countertops are also ideal for LED task light attachment for interesting lighting configurations.
- Concrete countertops are the ideal choice for anyone who wants something truly unique and completely personalized. Walking the line between rustic and modern, concrete countertops fit into a wide variety of design styles and can be customized to virtually any shape and color. You can order a concrete countertop poured to your exact specifications, including cut-outs for sinks and other fixtures.
- Metal countertops are perfect for modern kitchens. Stainless steel is timeless, clean, highly durable, and very easy to maintain, but some homeowners want the durability and reliability of metal with more flexible design options. Anvil metal from Grothouse allows for more organic configurations that aren’t usually possible with sheet metal construction.
- Solid surface countertops are a popular alternative to natural stone, offering a similar look and feel without the typical maintenance requirements of natural stone. Solid surface countertops from Corian are heat resistant, incredibly durable, and offer a huge variety of design opportunities.
Download Your Kitchen Remodeling Checklist
With so many design options and materials to choose from, deciding on what type of countertops would be best for your kitchen can seem overwhelming. Kitchen Expressions has a useful tool that can help you on your journey. Download our Kitchen Expressions Checklist for Kitchen Remodeling today to track everything you’ll need to consider for your kitchen remodeling project.